Let me guess: You clicked this blog post because you are either unsure of your dreams and where you want to go in life or you want to make sure you’re on the right path.
Well, I can’t be the one to tell you all that. (Sorry to disappoint!) What I CAN give you is some advice to think about when you are making life-changing decisions (or even small ones- sometimes those decisions are just as important, if not more-so!)
- Take some time to write a list of things you love to do and the things that make you happy. Then think about that list- Which ones are hobbies and which ones would you not mind having as a career? That’s how you can narrow down the goals you want to aspire to. Have multiple aspects of your life you want to pursue? Go for as much as you can! Don’t be afraid to fail. Take chances. You’ll never know unless you try.
- Now that you have some ideas for potential career paths, you want to learn as much as you can about each of the subjects. Go to your local library and take out some books. Take classes at your local community college. Follow gurus in your field. Join others in your area with the same interests as you. Take in as much information as you possibly can. This should also help you narrow down your list- if you find your enthusiasm dwindling after this, maybe you should find something else that interests you more. You can also use this time to teach yourself new things you never thought you’d do! Who knows- maybe you’ll end up finding a new passion!
- Take care of yourself! If you need a break from day-to-day life for a little while- take it. Even if it’s just for a few minutes. Go outside and talk a walk. Snuggle your pet. Get coffee with a friend. Take a nap. Just take a break from thinking and RELAX.
- This is similar to #3 but…Put yourself first! This is one of the most important steps in this list. When you are trying to figure out your life goal, it’s very easy to get caught up in what others “expect” from you- family members, spouses, friends, etc. Now I’m not saying to completely ignore the advice they give you, since they mean well. Sometimes listening to an outside perspective can be beneficial. But make sure you are thinking about what YOU want and not expectations that are being placed upon you.
- Who do you look up to in life? Why do you look up to them? What traits of theirs do you admire? Study your role models- how did they become successful? What are they doing differently than you? Not everyone is the same, but their choices may help you get closer to where you want to be in life.
I hope these steps will put you in the right direction for your life. It took me a long time to figure out exactly what I want out of life and I’m STILL changing my mind and goals. But for right now, I think these tips have helped me figure out where I want to be heading. To quote old school T-Swift, “I’m just a girl trying to find a place in this world.”